Have you been refused an ESTA or a B1/B2 Visa? You may need a Waiver.


The government filing fee for a B visa is $185 and an optional premium passport return fee of about £30.


In London, as of January 2024, it will take between 4-5 months to book an appointment so it's best to file an application as soon as possible and then collect the relevant evidence. Note that if you are applying for an interview in a country other than your home country, wait times may be longer. 

The B1/B2 visa covers a host of reasons for travel to the United States that includes both business and tourism/non-business purposes.


Reasons for travel under a B1 business visa

- Conducting business, such as negotiating a contract or attending business meetings
- Attending a conference relevant to a profession, education, or current business endeavor
- Settling an estate


Reasons for travel under a B2 tourist visa 

- Engaging in tourist activities or take a vacation
- Visiting family
- Receiving medical treatment
- Attending or taking part in events, such as concerts or classes, as long as there is no payment or credit given to the attendee
- Taking a short recreational study course, such as a pottery or sky diving class


You cannot travel under this visa to engage any of the following

- Study
- Long-term employment by a U.S. firm
- Paid performances, or any professional performance before a paying audience
- Arrival as a crewmember on a ship or aircraft
- Work as foreign press, in radio, film, print journalism, or other information media
- Permanent residence in the United States


A B1 visa and B2 visa do not grant permanent resident status. They are temporary visas, but the holder can apply for a green card. The maximum amount of time issued for B visas is 180 days


These visas allow for multiple entries into the United States.




Interview Coaching Available Here. Just ...



Understanding the B1 and B2 Visas for visiting the U.S.

United Kingdom, Andorra, Australia, Austria, Belgium Brunei, Chile, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Israel, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Latvia, Liechtenstein,Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Republic of Korea, San Marino, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and Taiwan.

Don't risk your filing fees. Make sure everything is in order before you pay them.


Discover Migration USA. We are MUSA. Your Essential Visa Ally.

Migration USA (MUSA) is a specialist US Immigration Consultancy, built on 25 years of US Immigration experience. We help our clients move themselves, their employees, their businesses or their investments to the US, either on a temporary or permanent basis. US Immigration processes can be long-winded and tricky to comprehend. They are also riddled with hidden elements that are not publicised. Knowing the law is essential. Experience with handling cases month after month is invaluable. MUSA is an essential ally in tackling immigration processes in a meticulously planned and correct way. Don't risk your filing fees.

Find out more. Do you qualify? How we can help?

Visa Waiver Programme Qualifying Countries

B-1 and B-2 Visit Visas

The B1 visa and B2 visa are temporary, non-immigrant visas that allow the holder to travel to the US for either business or tourism. They both permit more activities than you might think. 

The B-1 visa covers business trips, while the B-2 visa covers tourism and medical treatment.


Processing time
Application Process
Visa Waiver Countries

To be eligible for a B1 visa or B2 visa, the applicant must prove that the travel is temporary and they have the ability to self-fund all costs of the trip. They must also prove that they have no intent of remaining in the United States beyond their stay and abandoning a residence outside of the United States.


Note: The Visa Waiver Program allows nationals from certain countries to travel to the United States without a visa for business, tourism, or while in transit for up to 90 days. The program currently covers 38 countries and territories, including most countries in the European Union.


Canadian nationals also typically do not need a visa to enter the US for tourism purposes. Canadian nationals will need the appropriate visa if they have specific plans to study, work, or move permanently to the US.


Different entry requirements also apply to Canadian nationals, depending on if whether they plan to work, study, invest, or immigrate. The maximum length of stay can vary, depending on circumstances, between 6 months and 1 year.

Applications are processed by the US Embassy or consulate in your country.


You will need to attend an interview before your visa is approved. You can attend an interview at an embassy or consulate in a third country but you will likely wait longer for a visa appointment.


- First, you must complete an online form. 
- File the form online and print the confirmation page as you will need it for your interview.
- Upload your digital photo
- Attend the visa interview


We can do all of this for you. Come and have a chat about it.


As part of the process, ink-free, digital fingerprint scans are taken, typically at the interview. 


After the interview, the consular officer may request additional documents or information to make decision about your case.

B1 visa vs B2 visa, which one is right for me?

B-1 visas are issued for short business trips, while B-2 visas are issued for tourism purpose, such as vacations or visiting family.


Who is eligible for a B-1 visa or B-2 visa?

If you’re looking to temporarily visit the U.S. for either holiday or work purposes, for example, attending a conference, touring a place or visiting relatives, then you can apply for a B-1/B-2 visa. You may need to show proof that you have ties to your home country, and that you plan on leaving the U.S.


How long can I stay in the U.S. on the B-1/B-2 visa?

When you enter the U.S., a customs officer will give you authorization to stay in the U.S. for up to six months. If you’d like to stay for longer, you may be able to apply to extend this for up to one year.


How do I extend my stay on the B1 visa or B2 visa?

If you are nearing the end of your permitted stay in the U.S., then you may wish to extend it, especially since there can be future consequences if you stay in the U.S. longer than you were allowed to.

If you’re on a B-1 visa or a B-2 visa, you can request to extend your stay up to one year. To do this, you will need to file another form to extend or change your status. It’s recommended that you apply to extend your status at least 45 days before your authorized stay expires, so make sure you’re thinking ahead.


Can I work in the U.S. on a B-1 / B-2 visa?

No. While you can enter the U.S. for business purposes, you cannot work or be employed by a U.S. employer. If you’re interested in working in the U.S. for a U.S. employer, you may be interested in other visa categories, such as the H-1B visa.


How can I renew my B1 visa or B2 visa?

If you would like to renew your B-1/B-2 visa, then you will need to go through the original process. Depending on the U.S. embassy or consulate where you apply, you may be able to complete your visa renewal without the need for an interview.


Should I apply for a B-1/B-2 visa or an ESTA?

If you are a citizen of one of the 38 countries that are part of the Visa Waiver Program, then you have the option of applying for an ESTA instead of a B1 visa or B2 visa.

Both allow you to enter the U.S. for the same reasons of tourism or business, but you can apply for the ESTA online. Entering the U.S. this way only permits you to stay for up to 90 days, however, so if you would like to stay in the U.S. for travel or business purposes for longer, the B-1/B-2 visitor visa may be an option for you.

The 38 countries are listed below.


Do Canadian citizens need a B-1/B-2 visa?

For casual business or tourism travel, most Canadian citizens don’t need a visa and will automatically be admitted on a B-1 visa or B-2 visa category.


Is the B-1/B-2 visa an immigrant or non-immigrant visa?

The B-1/B-2 visa is a non-immigrant visa, but if your circumstances change, for example you marry a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, there are several paths from a visitor visa to a green card. Learn more to see how Boundless can help you avoid major headaches and make the process easier.




Astrid, Partner